Ink Well Mag accepts electronic submissions only.
Please send submissions as an attachment to submissions [at] inkwellmag.com. (Word .doc or .docx for written submissions; 300 DPI preferred for images.) Please be sure to identify to which volume you are submitting, include a short blurb about yourself and explain a bit about your piece (i.e. how you think it fits into the month’s theme).You are welcome to include links to your website or portfolio, but please do not ask us to select a piece for you.
Vol. 13 (January/February): Momentum (deadline: 1/21)
Vol. 14 (March/April): Power & Corruption (deadline: 3/29)
Vol. 15 (May/June): Heroism
Vol. 16 (July/August): Envy
Vol. 17 (September/October): Fantasy vs. Reality
Vol. 18 (November/December): Honor
Submissions can include, but are never limited to, the following:
- novel excerpts/literary fiction
- flash fiction
- creative nonfiction (personal essays, memoir)
- videos (performance pieces, animations…)
1. Submissions must be related to the given theme (see above)—but think of the theme as a guiding principle, rather than a creative limitation.
2. By sending us your submission, you verify that the work is your own and you have the right to submit it for publication. If you have submitted the piece elsewhere, it is a courtesy, although not required, to let us know.
3. Written submissions should not exceed 3,000 words. We will perform a proofread before posting, but it is not our policy to line edit pieces—so please be sure to share your best work!
4. You retain all rights to your work. If accepted, given the nature of Tumblr, you acknowledge that your work may be shared (“reblogged”) as long as you are credited as the author/artist. Your work will not be changed or used commercially.
5. Unfortunately we cannot compensate our contributors at this time, but we promise to promote you to the best of our ability, i.e. peppering social media with tales of your greatness!
**Please note that Ink Well is a side project for us, and sometimes our day jobs do get in the way. Sometimes our responses will be slower than we’d like. That said, we will always confirm receipt of your submission, will always respond with a decision one way or another, and, if your work is selected to be featured on the site, we will always email you to confirm publication (along with the URL).**