Removing mold from drywall is hard. For some, this is an understatement, and they end up removing the entire wall instead. What should you do to minimize damage, costs, and threats to health?
Noticing problematic signs
Mold growth on drywall is unmistakable. You could ask Certified Disaster Services, and they’ll tell you the same. Visible growth usually indicates that replacement may be necessary. As soon as you notice soot-like discoloration, peeling paint, bulging on the surface, and a musty smell, examine the wall further.
Do so while wearing protective gear lest you inhale the spores or transfer mold to other areas of the house. Fire damage could lead to mold infestation, especially when there is a failure to dry the house completely after fire-fighting efforts have successfully put out the conflagration.
Getting to know the culprits
A particular species called black mold is especially treacherous to pets and individuals with weak immune systems. An abundance of black mold is a huge problem. White mold is another variety, and they favor damp and cool environments.
Mostly mistaken for mineral deposits, they can persist for a long time and cause bigger problems in time. Meanwhile, blue mold populates ceilings with water leakage and bathrooms that are damp most of the time. Green mold is similar to blue mold, and both can be removed using bleach.
Spotting it on the surface
When the mold is still on the surface of drywall, you can simply scrub it off. However, failure to dry the moisture completely leads to a re-growth of mold. You must be vigilant in drying after using water and liquid cleanser.
Otherwise, the problem will rise again, particularly in the case of an uncoated wall. Porous drywall is almost impossible to clean thoroughly because the mold spores might already be lodged deep into the material.
You should treat a moldy drywall seriously. If you are unsure how to deal with the problem, reach out to mold remediation services and keep your home safe, healthy and comfortable to live in.